Google Images/ Brandon Holloway Mississippi State very well could be the best team in the country.

Mississippi State is the 3rd-best college football team in the country. Let me repeat, the Mississippi State Bulldogs are the third-ranked program in the country and the center of the college football universe.

I’ll be honest in saying: I never thought I’d see the day.

To put that statement into context, I have to take the writer hat off for a minute and talk about my time as a fan of Mississippi State or “State” to those from Mississippi.

I wasn’t always a Mississippi State fan. I knew nothing of them until my brother walked into the house boasting that he got J.J. Johnson’s autograph. I vividly remember thinking, who is J.J. Johnson? Not in the good way, either.

Eventually, I started to follow Mississippi State when my older sister began to attend Mississippi State. I found out who J.J. Johnson was…possibly the best running back that had to come through Mississippi State(May still be). And so I became a Bulldog.

I was blessed early on as a fan. I got to see the Bulldogs go on an improbable 8-0 run in 1999, which saw the “Dawgs” win several games in spectacular fashion (Thanks Matt Wyatt). They finished 10-2 with a Peach Bowl win.

The Bulldogs went bowling again in 2000. And then began my most excruciating time as a fan of the team hailing from Starkville. Over the next six years, the Bulldogs didn’t have one winning season and compiled a putrid 17-52 record. One of those losses included an embarrassing loss to FBS opponent: Maine. Freaking Maine. The program I loved had become a joke. It didn’t help that I was a student at Mississippi State, either.

Fast forward to 2007, the Sylvester Croom-led Bulldogs put together a winning season, which was capped with a Liberty Bowl victory over Central Florida. A game I attended with my Aunt Florence, a fellow Mississippi State alum and fan. (It’s a memory I will always cherish–as that Aunt recently passed away.)

I thought we were about to turn the corner. I was wrong. One off-season shooting incident stripped the Dawgs of four top performers. It’s a loss that couldn’t be absorbed. The next season the Bulldogs won only four games. Croom, the first black coach in SEC history, was fired.

In came Dan Mullen, the offensive “guru” who was supposed to turn the Bulldogs into a national contender or at least Mississippi State fans pretended we thought he could get the program to that level.

The “Yankee” from New Hampshire got off to a solid start. He achieved a 5-7 record in his first season–defeating Ole Miss in the “Egg Bowl” and excited the crowd by saying that “Mississippi State was the program on the rise” in the State of Mississippi. It’s became the battle cry for Bulldog fans. We were on the rise to the top and Dan Mullen would lead us there.

While Mullen led the Bulldogs to four-straight bowl games, it seemed he would never deliver on his promise. It’s something that wasn’t lost on me. I went so far as to write a column stating that “Mullen Must Change His Ways” if he is to turn the Bulldogs into a contender.

The 2014 season was a true “Now or Never” year for Mullen. He had his guys and had to deliver. Finally, after years of disappointments, the Dawgs got over the hump. They didn’t just beat national powerhouse LSU but destroyed them. They didn’t stop there.They easily disposed of Texas A&M, another top-10 opponent.

Bulldog fans who dealt with years of anguish had something not just be excited about but boast about. It still feels surreal. The Bulldogs have the Heisman front-runner (Dak Prescott), are a favorite in the new college football playoff and share the Sports Illustrated cover with Ole Miss. It feels like something that would only happen on the now debunk NCAA Football video game. But it’s actually happening.

As much as I’d love to get excited, Tweet and “Flex for the Gram”(And I have) over MSU’s early-season run, I have to put the writer hat back on and assess the Bulldogs’ realistic chances of winning the National title.

Realistically, The Bulldogs have a real shot at winning the first college football playoff. They have all the ingredients: great quarterback play, a balanced offense, good depth and a stout defense.

The one Achilles heel that could come back to haunt the Bulldogs is the fact that they are susceptible to the big play through the air. They’re giving up 328.2 passing yards per game. That’s not going to get it.

Luckily, the Bulldogs don’t face a dominant passing team until they face off against Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl, which very well decide the SEC West and SEC for that matter. Talk about something I never thought I’d see.

I don’t think anyone thought this day would come. But it’s here now. Moments like these don’t come around often.

Soak it in, embrace it and enjoy the ride.

J.Short’s Hot Takes

• Brandon Holloway’s emergence Saturday gives Mississippi State something it sorely needed: a game breaker. The Bulldogs haven’t had a game one in the Mullen Era. He makes an explosive offense…even more explosive. The Dawgs finally have a guy that can get the corner and break the long run with a small crease.
  • Joe Morrow, I wrote you off but you’ve made some plays this season. I see ya young buck. Keep shining.
  • Salute to Ben Beckwith for stepping up in Dillon Day’s stead on Saturday.
  • I’ve really been hard on Kaleb Eulls throughout his career. But he’s sold out as the one-technique defensive tackle this season. I see ya.
  • I challenged Benardrick McKinney after the first game–asking him to play like an All-American. And he has the last four games. Now I want to challenge Chris Jones, who was a preseason All-American, to step his game up. 12 tackles and two sacks isn’t going to get it. I need to see more.
  • I’ll put it simply: Mississippi State defensive backs, man up. The way you’ve played this season is an absolute disgrace. You’re too talented as a unit to get gashed the way you have every week.
 J.Short’s Final Take

I had to take a moment to say how proud I am to be from the State of Mississippi right now. Two Mississippi teams are on the cover of Sports Illustrated…SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. It became too real when a co-worker, who supports Ole Miss, came to my classroom and just asked: “Have you seen the Sports Illustrated cover?” I just smiled and opined: Yes, I had. That’s how awesome it is that the State of Mississippi dominates the headlines in college football.

*This column was dedicated to my Aunt Florence McGowan. She recently passed away–succumbing to Breast Cancer on September 8th, 2014. R.I.P. Aunt Flo

Support Breast Cancer Awareness. It might save a life.

Jeremiah Short, Peach State College Sports Contributor

Catch me on the “SportsKrib” on Wednesday’s 8-9 Central. Follow me on social media @DaRealJShort or check out my facebook page JShortJournalist or my Google Plus page J.Short- Journalist

Posted by: jeremiah short // October 8, 2014

Comments

02/12/2016 9:26pm

Can I simply say what a relief to find a person that genuinely understands what they are talking about online. You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people have to check this out and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you are not more popular since you certainly have the gift.

03/25/2016 1:06am

perception as to I'm who has been involved with your you know with your directing who can you can achieve out to analytics I cannot going to analytic I don'twanna display too much individual information but Idol have chosen screenshots here to reveal to your arm so I have blurry out one section of this .
Halocel

03/25/2016 11:43pm

savings to be had. A box of egg at a grocery store costs many times more than what you could pick them up for in places like Makro. Before I checked a box of medium egg in Makro, cost you less than £ and .

03/27/2016 11:25pm

battle in their attempt to get big hands fast. I myself battle to get benefits until I learned properly to learn. The Arms Are More Then Biceps The hands have three significant muscle tissue that all need .

03/28/2016 11:03pm

people who was standing you think II thin dark youths they're like I like all delicious like you just got those genes man like you just have those types of genetics that everybody's referring to so that's why .

03/29/2016 10:56pm

may decide to use supersets, giant places, pyramid coaching, staggered places, high/moderate/low rep coaching, relax pause, volume coaching, quantity coaching and many other advanced techniques, as a .

03/30/2016 10:48pm

exercises. I first ran across the idea of intense coaching from a Scott Mentzer article returning when I was pumping iron in the mid-70's. Actually returning then, he known as it top quality coaching. As a .

04/01/2016 10:50pm

Protein is the most important body developing source among all products. The proteins powder is mixed with frequent water, juices, or milk products and drunk before muscle developing exercise and also after the completion of the exercise. Adequate volume of proteins is necessary to grow the muscle tissue .

04/03/2016 10:55pm

his way of life. Generally, workouts can be of different types. Through different types of workouts, one should concentrate on troublesome areas. To accomplish muscle wellness insurance fitness, there are .

04/04/2016 10:41pm

challenging workouts. Looking excellent just normally follows. Choose your loads. You can purchase dumbbells or improvise with ordinary household items. You can use your own bodyweight, too, but it's .

04/05/2016 11:01pm

you look like him and he will do it the same way as he did with himself. So think about that first. So, do you know somebody from your surroundings who would helped you Perhaps you would be surprised .

04/07/2016 2:50am

around the world dream of having attractive abs. They try their best every day to get a Awesome. However, as much as they try, their abdomen does do not get any closer to a Awesome. Why because .

04/13/2016 11:20pm

always getting, think about that! If yes, be prepared to carry out and continually understand as your whole body system changes, keep focused, track your daily and every week progress, and outcomes will .

04/18/2016 2:30am

from the earliest stage. with respect to arm twisting, its OK for the arms to twist AFTER the hip augmentation is finished, right? this obviously is expecting the arms are twisting to encourage the bar's .
Testadrox

04/28/2016 12:17am

personal to indication an verification in the temporary on problematic day right so you've gotten the written declaration you have it imprinted %uh they'd probably have to indication other than a waiver .

Ving 1927
04/29/2016 11:57pm

Every lieutenant brush in the shade NW and I'm just using this to cover I semi foundation and just keep it in place that I'm using this little speech gave my eyebrows and ready for me to apply might get proper made bias Asia Beverly Hills in the shade medium brown I'm also using my and the station Beverly Hills brush to apply this have told you guys before my eyebrows.
For more information, visit this site >>>>>>> http://www.optimalstackfacts.us/do-not-buy-bellaplex-read-this-first/

Onele 1933
05/02/2016 12:40am

There are some interesting people who started doing interesting things with this and pretty a particular area interesting this isn't the altar marathon running community because if you want more than a marathon distance you can store not like rich in your body to finish your thought go beyond north of more people now doing fifteen hundred mile races and.
For more information, visit this site >>>>>>> http://www.optimalstackfacts.us/Try-perfect-garcinia-cambogia-and-read-its-side-effects

Hatt ione
05/03/2016 10:45pm

Are the natural delinquency and makeup removers how less and these are the ones for her dry and sensitive skin and I don't think they had these for TV appearance but just because I rely on them so heavily integral part of my regime is actually had to pull out of my undoes then but I think was definitely the Josh Rose rough hydrating accelerator incredible moral it all its create.

05/05/2016 1:45am

premium cleanse I go to Glastonbury and music because you just live and work out diet at this table I don't know I don't have the means he's too low crab stuff or get it there so I can go and I know so I rather than I know myself.

05/06/2016 1:16am

Bellaplex I discovered this is the good things miracle not a fire moister riser better the mouthful there I think they have a couple tied to this day depending on your skin type you can get a different one it's free from pair bins sulfate and mineral oil...

05/07/2016 1:10am

premium cleanse kind of do under the Robb wolf trisect how do you look feel and perform and all those things are going well a you're on the right track yeah so I did want to talk to you specifically about this Jimmy just because it's so had it's frustrating in a way..

Because of the demand so many company offers affordable services all over the country but few of them can provide quality and guaranteed result.

05/17/2016 7:08pm

Can I just say what a relief to uncover a person that genuinely knows what they're discussing on the net. You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people must check this out and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you are not more popular given that you certainly possess the gift.

07/06/2016 8:23pm

Our home mortgage services will surely benefits you the most that provide simple stress free and lost cost mortgage acquistion

Why not let LEAD Consultants guide you through this process to ensure the success of your future development.

01/17/2017 9:31pm